Re: Spanish Keyboard Layout in GNOME

Simos Xenitellis wrote:

On Thu, 2006-04-13 at 22:40 -0400, Jose Alburquerque wrote:
Hi everyone! I'm new to this list but I need to ask (what I hope is!) a simple question. Presently I'm running a RedHat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) "clone" called CentOS 4.3 (the version corresponds to the same version as RedHat's product). When I installed the OS, I installed with the GNOME Desktop option.

I am so proud of how far GNOME has come! (I've been using RedHat since 4.3, though I had to dual boot with Windows for some time due to lack of word processing apps, etc.) I now use Linux (and have been using it) exclusively without needing Windows at all! My system is very stable and I have no problems with its functionality. When system boots, gdm takes over display and auto logs in (after a few seconds) a "general" user (though I have an account of my own).

What I'm having problems with is with the "Keyboard Indicator" applet: I need to use a keyboard that has accents (for Spanish work) and I added the applet to a panel to be able to change to the appropriate keyboard. I managed to add a Spanish layout from the list. I can even switch to the layout and the "dead keys" work. But when I type the letter after the dead key, it appears unaccented. The keyboard layout (in the applet list) is called "Spanish Sun dead keys".

What's really strange is that the keyboard layout called "U.S. English International (with dead keys)" does provide letters with accents (using the appropriate dead keys). Can anyone tell me how I might get a Spanish keyboard layout that works (I'm kinda used to using the actual "Spanish" layout in a "Spanish" keyboard)? Anyone has any ideas/explanations? Thanks so much.

The "Spanish Sun dead keys" does not work for PCs.

What you should have chosen is "Spain". That is, when you are in the
Layout list and you see the country names, select "Spain" itself and not
any of the three sub-options (which includes "Spanish Sun dead keys").
Have also a look at
http://www.gnome.gr/writing/
which does the same for Brazilian Portuguese; it selects "Brazil" and
not any of the sub-options.

You may have to reset any keyboard-related manual changes you did in
xorg.conf (it's good not to touch it).

Simos Xenitellis
http://simos.info/blog/

This worked! Thanks Simos, I had no idea that the "main group name" could be selected as a keyboard layout. Once I added the "Spain" layout, my keyboard now behaves exactly as a Spanish keyboard should (with accents and the rest). Luckily, I did not modify the xorg.conf file at all so all is ok!

As far as the version of GNOME I'm using, it's 2.8 (that's the one that comes with CentOS/RHEL 4.3). Thanks for all the other suggestions. It's important to keep in mind (for future problems), that for a "clean" install of CentOS 4.3 (RHEL 4.3) with GNOME, the various keyboard layouts should work by selecting the right one (and not having to modify other configuration files). Thanks again!

-Jose