Re: Spanish Keyboard Layout in GNOME

Jose Alburquerque wrote:
Hi everyone! I'm new to this list but I need to ask (what I hope is!) a simple question. Presently I'm running a RedHat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) "clone" called CentOS 4.3 (the version corresponds to the same version as RedHat's product). When I installed the OS, I installed with the GNOME Desktop option.

I am so proud of how far GNOME has come! (I've been using RedHat since 4.3, though I had to dual boot with Windows for some time due to lack of word processing apps, etc.) I now use Linux (and have been using it) exclusively without needing Windows at all! My system is very stable and I have no problems with its functionality. When system boots, gdm takes over display and auto logs in (after a few seconds) a "general" user (though I have an account of my own).

What I'm having problems with is with the "Keyboard Indicator" applet: I need to use a keyboard that has accents (for Spanish work) and I added the applet to a panel to be able to change to the appropriate keyboard. I managed to add a Spanish layout from the list. I can even switch to the layout and the "dead keys" work. But when I type the letter after the dead key, it appears unaccented. The keyboard layout (in the applet list) is called "Spanish Sun dead keys".

What's really strange is that the keyboard layout called "U.S. English International (with dead keys)" does provide letters with accents (using the appropriate dead keys). Can anyone tell me how I might get a Spanish keyboard layout that works (I'm kinda used to using the actual "Spanish" layout in a "Spanish" keyboard)? Anyone has any ideas/explanations? Thanks so much.

You might need to make a change in your xorg.conf (or XFree86.config, whichever xserver CentOS uses). There's a section in the file to define your keyboard layout. I think the Gnome setting is supposed to override the setting in the configuration file, at least on a per-user basis, but I'm not sure. You might possibly need to define multiple layouts in your config in order for Gnome to be able to switch between them.

These things are often, to some degree, distribution-specific, if only because there are a few different versions of Gnome and of the xserver out there now, and it might be impossible to say if one magic combination of factors will work for all of them. Gnome 2.12 might be different from Gnome 2.14, and Xorg 6.8, 6.9 and 7.0 could all be different, in terms of what you need to do to get your keyboard options working the way you want. Things have changed a lot with Xorg 7.0, which has a modular layout. You might have better luck if you asked in a CentOS forum, and were specific about which versions of Gnome and of the xserver you're using.

Good luck!

--
Michael M. ++ Portland, OR ++ USA
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." --S. Jackson