Re: Your session only lasted less than 10 seconds.

Did you try logging in as root as well? Last time I did a re-install, I had the same problem, (but I could login as root). Turned out to be a discrepancy in "my" user id.
Glenn J. Mason wrote:

Hi Tommie,
Have a look at the file .xsession-errors in your home directory -- it may provide clues.
HTH