Re: how to focus on desktop automatically if no windows open?

On 11/10/05, Shaun McCance <shaunm gnome org> wrote:

> > Metacity is doubtless focusing something or other. Try typing and see
> > what it is...
>
> Well, I did, before even sending this message.
> I hit the arrow keys, hoping to see a focus
> ring or something moving somewhere, and hit
> Enter, hoping something would activate.  But
> no dice.
>
> The only things I can see are a panel (I only
> have one) and nautilus's desktop.  If something
> has focus, I don't know what it is.

It's the designated no-focus-window (a window created by Metacity that
the user never sees but is around to ensure that global keybindings
work...).  That window can also get focused when certain bugs (e.g.
X11's utterly stupid RevertTo behavior) are worked around.

Cheers,
Elijah