how to focus on desktop automatically if no windows open?

I'm using Gnome 2.10.2 on Debian. Sometimes I like to use the keyboard instead of the mouse to navigate the desktop. However, if I close a window (using, e.g., M-F4) I go into what appears to be a 'no-focus' state: pressing the arrow keys, tab key, enter, etc.. doesn't do anything.

I know I can bind a key to "Hide all windows and focus the desktop" in the Keyboard Shortcuts dialog; is there any way to focus the desktop by default if no windows are open?

-Brandon