Adding icons to the desktop, without placing them in ~/Desktop.

Hi!

I'd like to add icons to the desktop of users, without copying
.desktop-files to ~/Desktop of the user. I need to do it while
running as the user, and the icons can be different for every user, so
system-wide directories are not an option. Well, they could be, if
there is a way to configure which system-wide directories to look in
for each user.

KDE has a way to do this, you can copy .desktop-files into
~/.kde/share/apps/kdesktop/Desktop, where they are harder to find "by
mistake" for the user.

Is this possible in Gnome?

Cheers,
\EF
--
Erik Forsberg                OpenSource-based Thin Client Technology
Cendio AB                    Phone: +46-13-21 46 00