GNOME via remote X server - slow root window redraw

Another thing I thought would be fun to try on my new Mini Mac: I'm logging into GNOME on my FC3 box via XDMCP (on the Fedora host) and 'X -broadcast' (on the Mac.) This actually works rather well. One problem, though: Full root window redraws are very slow. This leads to annoying delays on greeter display, login and also when the logout icon is selected (because of the display "gray-out" operation, I guess.)

Any advice?

BTW, it seems to me that that X is faster than VNC for *most other* operations...