zenity weirdness with special characters

Hi list,

i'm experiencing a weird problem with zenity;

when i try to make it display some special characters (like example : ä)
in a checklist list dialog with a command like this one :

zenity --list --checklist --column "Choose" --column "Tracks" TRUE \
"1-Lights_of_Euphoria-Was_wäre_wenn?"

it does not work quite well and i have the following errors :

(zenity:11569): Pango-WARNING **: Invalid UTF-8 string passed to
pango_layout_set_text()

What is puzzling me is that if i try another command like this one :

echo "01-Lights_of_Euphoria-Was_wäre_wenn?" | zenity --text-info \
--title="Audio rip" --width=800 --height=600

that one work without a glitch and everything is dysplayed normally.

I've tried a bunch of locale combination with no luck.

Any clue?!

Thanks a lot!!!