Strange behavior under Sun's GNOME desktop

Today a user asked me a question that has me puzzled.
When she logs into one machine using Sun's GNOME, metacity, etc.,
one particular application always begins maximized, regardless of
which of the two displays it begins.

However, if she logs into a different machine, the same application opens
up normally.

There's nothing in her x resources that is machine specific. I ensured
that she is not running devilspie - which wouldn't really matter, since
it would have started for her regardless of what machine she was using.
At least one other user sees similar behavior - but several hundred
other users, with similar login profiles, do not see this behavior.

What kinds of things in one's environment might cause an arbitrary application
to start up maximized?

--
Tcl - The glue of a new generation.  <URL: http://wiki.tcl.tk/ >
Larry W. Virden <mailto:lvirden cas org><URL: http://www.purl.org/NET/lvirden/ >