Re: galeon bookmark sidebar broken

On Mon, 2005-28-03 at 06:25 -0500, Haines Brown wrote:
> > > I first tried simply to reinstall galeon by using apt-get --purge
> > > remove, but it did not remove configuration files, and when I
> > > tried to put those files aside for a fresh install, I began to run
> > > into trouble because of other gnome application dependencies.
> >
> > How does moving files cause application dependancies? Perhaps galeon
> > has added a dependancy that you must resolve by installing another
> > package?
>
> Sorry I wasn't clearer. The apt-get --purge remove of galeon was not
> removing configuration files (as I thought it should), and so I put
> what appeared to be configuration files to the side, purged and
> reinstalled. It had no effect, perhaps because I was not getting at
> the right configuration files. The files so integrated various gnome
> applications that I found either that I was endangering them or the
> reinstallation had no effect. I ended damaging slightly the
> configuration of one application (gterm). Not knowing what I was
> doing, I backed out. I have no confidence in how to do a clean purge
> and reinstallation of galeon, although that seems the obvious way to
> address my problem.

Firstly your home directory is the only place where galeon might be
writing stuff, so we've really narrowed things down right there. For
writing Gnome specific stuff, Gnome apps will really only use ~/.gnome2
for some special purpose things. Lastly there is always .galeon (if such
a thing exists). Taking any of those things and moving them, say .galeon
-> .galeon.backup should sufficiently remove them from the game.

GConf is a place where applications are supposed to store app options,
and thus galeon might put things there. You can look through what stuff
is there using gconf-editor.

> > > I would like to know where the problem resides in all the
> > > gnome/galeon files, and how to effect a repair.
>
> > Have you tried the debian or galeon user's mailing lists?
>
> Yes, I subscribed to the galeon list and will do that, but I think my
> question above nevertheless is a good one for this list. My
> understanding of apt-get --purge remove is that it removes
> configuration files and relevant directories, but the monolithic
> nature of gnome off hand appears to prevent it.

Well my problem with helping you out is that I neither run Debian (so I
have NO understanding what apt-get --purge does) nor Galeon (so I don't
know where Galeon puts stuff or why) -- the two things your having
problems with, and the odds aren't good that anyone else does either
given that I'm the only one who responded. :)

Really I *am* trying to *help* you by recommending you look elsewhere.

> Thanks.
>
> Haines Brown

Cheers,
Ryan