galeon bookmark sidebar broken

With a new installation of galeon (debian sarge), I found that the
bookmarks listed in the sidebar don't work. That is, they are
displayed, menues drop down, items can be moved, but a double click
only highlights the item and does not initiate a search for the listed
URL. Bookmarks in the menu do work properly.

I first tried simply to reinstall galeon by using apt-get --purge
remove, but it did not remove configuration files, and when I tried to
put those files aside for a fresh install, I began to run into trouble
because of other gnome application dependencies.

I would like to know where the problem resides in all the gnome/galeon
files, and how to effect a repair.

Haines Brown