Re: GNOME Desktop Usability Survey

On Sat, 2005-26-03 at 21:01 -0500, HASE (Human Aspects of Software
Engineering) wrote:
> Dear GNOME Users/Developers:
>
> We are currently investigating the usability of the GNOME desktop software.

I quickly looked at it, and it seems like what you have there really
won't tell you anything interesting. Actually it seems all you'll find
out about is who subscribes to gnome, et al, mailing lists and how much
those subscribers like their favourite desktop.

If you'd like to actually help us out, you should sit down and do a
proper study on regular desktop users, non hackers or enthusiasts.
Getting users from ANY mailing list is going to shoot your sample bias
to shreds.

> We sincerely apologize if you receive more than one copy of this
> announcement.

Don't apologize, just don't don't do it. :)

There are some mailing list that are more appropriate for this than
others, and almost everyone is subscribed to more than one. Next time
you should probably stick to gnome-list to make such an announcement. In
particular, usability gnome org is filled with lots of wacky people that
like to discuss that sort of thing.

Cheers,
Ryan