Loss of controllable icons that represent open applications

Gnome Community,

Sun is currently using the Gnome desktop in our Java Desktop.  Most employee's
are being "encouraged" to use this desktop.

However the loss of being able to locate icons that represent open applications
is a huge loss on JDS at Sun.  CDE user's have grown accustomed to organizing
their desktop for quick reference of open applications.  So ...

Need control of icons that represent open applications is needed because
of huge loss of productivity.

(1) Loss of Controllable Icons.

     Current:  Icons that represent active processes now go to bottom bar of
               screen and are not location controllable.   Users in CDE now
               have many icons ( 20 ) on their desktop and a time.  And we
               close them and put them in memorized locations for fast access.

     Future:  ICONS work like CDE.  Can close and control location all over the screen.
              Problem now is that a lot of time is spent finding the icon you need.
              Whereas in CDE we always kept it in one place.

Could someone please let me know who to direct this request?

Thank you,

Andre

--
Andre Gaytan, Uniboard Manager