Re: GNOME 2.10 is released, what now?

Ryan McDougall wrote:
On Thu, 2005-10-03 at 13:55 +0100, Age Bosma wrote:

Hi,

I finally got to the point to start using and learning Linux a bit. I've been running FC3 for a week now and I just noticed GNOME 2.10 is released. What do I have to do to get this version up and running on my system? What do I need to download, what do I need to install and how do I do this? Like I said, I'm completely new to Linux and I wasn't able to find any doc's on this on the GNOME website, let me know if I overlooked something. On the 2.10 release page there is talk about GARNOME but I'm not sure if that's what I need. Also, there are platform, desktop and binding sources, which one should I use?

Thanks in advance,

As a open source user you have an embarrassment of choices available to
you. The safest way is to wait for your distro's Guarenteed To Work (tm)
binary packages.

I noticed that yeah :-) I can be quite confusion and frustration for a newbe sometimes because you don't know where to start...
I don't want to wait too long so wiating for FC4 isn't an option ;-)

How about compatibility? How big is the risk that some programs won't be able to run anymore if I upgrade to GNOME 2.10 right now?

Ubuntu always has the latest GNOME builds (but FC3 is a good distro too,
I'm using it).
Since it'll be a while until FC4 comes out, if you want official
packages you'll have to add the development sources at
http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/development/ to
your yum or apt setup, then just `yum update gnome*` . Right now they're
only at 2.9.91.

How long do you think it's approximately going to take before they have 2.10 up? Also, I haven't used yum yet, FC has the up2date program, will GNOME 2.10 be available through that as well in the near future, at least before FC4?

Or you could build from source using garnome following the instructions
here http://cipherfunk.org/garnome/documentation.html . If you have the
stomach for it. ;)

I feel that I will get to this eventually but I don't think it's a wise thing for me to do just yet ;-) Just out of interest: If I build it from the source myself, will I gain some speed improvement?

Age