Need some help working on gnome-terminal

I don't find a developer list for gnome-terminal, so I am asking about at random on this one.

I have been an Eterm user and like its background image features, but its support for utf8 is slow in coming and so I want to make gnome-terminal my preferred application. In order to make this dream come true, I want to hack gnome terminal to

1. Accept a pixmap name from the command line (work is done on that)
2. Accept color shading/masking commands from command line (work partially done on that) 3. Make background pixmaps resize themselves to automatically fill up background of terminal when it is resized (I'm totally blocked on this one).

The idea here is that I have about 3000 backgrounds saved in a directory, and a Perl script that chooses one and then runs the terminal with a background and shading.

I've got the source code of gnome terminal and vte and I've dug through here a lot, and the big problem seems to be that the part of the code that sets the background for a terminal object does not know the size of the working window. The current approach is to fill up the pixbuf background with a fixed size and then show portions of that depending on how big the window is.

I found the background code that makes the tiled version of small pixmaps when is then put to a buffer and it is in turn scaled to fill up the background, and I can fiddle that code to make a background fill up any desired terminal size. However, I can't figure how to make the size of the image re-adjust when the terminal gets resized.

If you have advice, I would be glad to hear it.
--
Paul E. Johnson                       email: pauljohn ku edu
1541 Lilac Lane, Rm 504