Font Confusion

Using Gnome in Ubuntu 5.04, trying to get fonts configured.

I let the installer do the default installation of Ubuntu, but it installed
a lot of fonts that I have no use for. Removing them sort of works if I
do sudo nautilus fonts:/// (got that from the Ubuntu documentation
website). However, when I select a font and delete it, it still appears
in the list, even after I reload the Nautilus window. But if I select it
again and try Properties, it says it can't display the properties.
Maybe it's really gone, but Nautilus has a display bug? On the
other hand, they still show up in a new Writer document font list
too.

Moreover, some fonts are not appearing in fonts:///. Either that, or
the font viewer is lying about what they really are. For example, if I
launch OpenOffice.org Writer I find a bunch of fonts for Chinese,
Japanese and Korean. But none of those appear in fonts:///. I don't
speak any of those languages, so I certainly didn't install them. I
don't know where they came from. Moreover, if I type some text in
a Writer document and apply one of these Asian language fonts to
it, the text appearance does not change. It should change to junk
or something.

I am a student of linguistics, so I need IPA fonts (International
Phonetic Alphabet). I installed Doulos from University College,
London (http:/www.phon.ucl.ac.uk/home/wells/fonts.htm). At first I
just put them in the TrueType folder, but they did not appear
anywhere. So then I moved them to the OpenOffice folder. That
seems to have worked -- at least they are now visible in a Writer
document (after closing and reopening a new document). Except
that the display in the Writer document is of a badly draw sans
font, not Doulos. The font metrics are all wrong and the outlines are
not displaying properly. I think Writer is substituting some generic
display because it doesn't know what else to do with it.

I also opened a root terminal window and did defoma-font reregister-
all (another thing I got from the Ubuntu documentation page). It did
several lines of unregister, register, and purge stuff. But it didn't
resolve any of the above problems.

I also have some expensive Adobe OpenType Pro fonts that I want
to install. They are on my Windows 2000 computer and the Adobe
license lets me use them on two computers, so I want them on the
Linux laptop as well. Haven't tried to install them yet. Any
suggestions welcome.

Documentation on installing fonts has me totally confused because
everyone says something different. I note that KDE has a font
installer utility. Perhaps that would help. Does Gnome have
something like that?

Thanks in advance for any pointers and suggestions.