N00b Trying to Move Stuff

I just started using Linux about 10 days ago. Discovered I far prefer
Gnome to KDE. I currently have Ubuntu-6 on my Compaq R3240
and it rocks!

However, there are three icons on the desktop. One is the CD/DVD
drive, and the other two are partitions on a removable external USB
drive. I hate icons on my desktop. I'd like to move these to the
panel on the top of the screen (I deleted the panel on the bottom).
But when I try to do so they won't go there. The mouse cursor icon
shows a + sign, but nothing happens and they stay on the desktop.

How do I get them off my desktop?

Sorry if this is a stupid newbie question. I looked at all the
documentation I could find and nothing addressed this issue.