Hal and pygtk

Hi! I'm building gnome 2.10 from sources, and when I got to installing hal, it went fine, but when I go to run 'hal-device-manager', it says:
Traceback (most recent call last):
 File "/usr/bin/hal-device-manager", line 14, in ?
   import LibGladeApplication
 File "/usr/share/hal/device-manager/LibGladeApplication.py", line 5, in ?
   from gtk import glade
ImportError: cannot import name glade

So I install pygtk 2.6.2 and run it again, and get the same thing, except that it cannot import gnome. I then install gnome-python 1.4.4, and it says the oringinal message. Its like one overwrights the other. How do I set up the hal thing, then? Thanks!
-Steven