Re: After installing mono, launchers shown as .desktop

Guy Rouillier wrote:
> I installed mono yesterday on Gentoo AMD64 running kernel 2.6.11-r6.
> The OS reports I am running  gnome core 2.8.3.  I'm able to use mcs and
> mono successfully.
>
> However, when I rebooted today, all my desktop launchers now have a
> .desktop extension (e.g., Thunderbird.desktop), and are apparently being
> interpreted as text files instead of launchers.  If I right click and
> select Properties, Type is "plain text document", and the launcher tab
> is not present.
>
> I don't know why this happened, but how can I get gnome to interpret
> these as launchers again?  The apps themselves still work fine if I
> start them from either a terminal or the menus.  Thanks.

Something else is wrong also.  On my desktop, my mounted partitions
properly have the drive icon, and when I select Properties it says it is
 of type folder.  When I open up Computer, all the partitions have the
generic icon, and Properties shows type "desktop configuration file".
The label for each partition is appended with ".drive".

Ugh, what has happened with all these associations?  Help, please.

--
Guy Rouillier