Re: soource instalation gripes - or why I prefer kde

On Tue, Jan 25, 2005 at 12:15:42PM +0800, Mr E_T wrote:
> I would like to find a list of which package needs to be installed in what order to get a working instalation.
>
> I am surprised that I cant fin a document on this at the gnome website.

The instructions for building GNOME are described in the Release Notes,
available at [1].

> I am also surprised that there is no "collection" of sources like the kde packeges.
<snip>
> It would make things a lot easier to install.

Well I think the GNOME developers prefer to keep things modular, and
leave it to the distributors to make GNOME easily installable.  However,
if you want an easy way to build and update GNOME without using your
distribution's packages, you may want to look at GARNOME, on which you
can find more information at [2].