Resetting file selector state to resolve crashes

Hi,

I'm having problems with the file selector under Gnome 2.8. Something in my persistent state causes every gnome 2.8 file selector dialog (thunderbird 1.0, abiword-2.2...) to freeze before opening. Several other gnome apps are broken as well: nautilus and desktop freeze on startup. Other user accounts do not suffer from this problem.

Is there some standard way to roll back the persistent user state to get rid of this type of problem?

Also, how do I increase the verbosity of desktop, nautilus, or the file selector dialog to diagnose this?

Thanks.

Alan