Re: debian gnome

On Tue, 2005-02-22 at 21:20 -0500, Greg Foster wrote:
> I am running debian sarge with gnome 2.8 and gnome keeps freezing up
> randomly. About the only thing that works is the mouse.
> Can someone help please

Firstly, does your command-line still work? Try ctrl-alt-f1 to get a
command-line console, log in and do some cd/ls/etc commands. Use alt-f6
to return to the gui. This will tell you whether the whole machine is
hanging.

Assuming the command-line works ok, try using a non-gnome environment if
you can. If you have KDE installed, then select that from the login
screen. Or fluxbox/xfce/whatever. This will tell you whether the problem
is in the "X" server, or in gnome itself.

You might also want to check
   ~/.xsession-errors for odd-looking messages.
I see a few WARNING messages in mine, so not every message in this file
represents a fatal error.

I can't think of anywhere else to check for the moment, though I'm no
guru; maybe someone else can suggest additional tests.

Regards,

Simon