Re: Idea: a gui for automatic ./configure && make

Ikke <eikke <at> eikke.com> writes:

> On Tue, 2005-12-20 at 19:18 +0100, Francesco Montorsi wrote:
> > Hi all,
> Wouldn't it be fantastic if you'd be able to use your distribution's
> package manager, or some similar system like AutoPackage etc?
>
> Installing lots of things from source is not always healthy for a system
> (can and will confuse your package manager), so I don't think it's a
> good idea to "make it easy" for end-users to do this.

Try CheckInstall + kConfigure. It's not a GNOME combination, one being a
CLI-only tool and the other being a KDE tool, but it works really well.

CheckInstall - http://asic-linux.com.mx/~izto/checkinstall/
kConfigure   - http://kconfigure.sourceforge.net/

__
Faster than a speeding slug!