Backspace/Delete keys problems in gnome-terminal

I have a keyboardless server, running Xvnc server (vncserver) and
I have a problem with the Backspace/Delete keys in the gnome-terminal program.

Here is my setup:
- CentOS4 (RHEL4)
- gnome-libs-
- gnome-terminal-2.7.3-1
- keyboard layout: us

In gnome-terminal, when I get this errors:
- in vim, when I press Backspace I get: ^?
- in the command prompt, when I press the Delete key, I get: ~

I have try deleting all my ~/.g* files but still have this problem.

How can I fix it? It was working fine in RH9

Oliver Schulze L.
<oliver samera com py>