Re: Blank Screen, Gnome Config Problem?

First off, and I haven't read all the responses to the thread, is the
problem just that your Nautilus package got removed?

Second, if it is installed, simply starting Nautilus should guarantee
that it'll start on your next login, instead of blasting away all your
useful settings.  Does that help?

Third, for diagnosis as you mentioned you would like to see, log into a
virtual console (ctrl-alt-F<N> to get to one) and start up your desktop
using the command:
  startx -- :1 > xsession.log 2>&1
Once you exit the X session, you can type:
  less xsession.log
to view any errors printed to the console during the X session.

Finally, if you still have problems, blasting your settings away should
fix the problem.  Make sure you are not logged into the desktop when you
do it, though, and that all desktop processes (like gconfd) are shutdown
before deleting the preferences in ~/.gconf and ~/.gnome2 and so on.  A
clean way to do that is to reboot, log in on a virtual console, and
delete the preferences folders and files there.