Re: Starting and stopping gnome

From: "Telsa Gwynne" <hobbit aloss ukuu org uk>

> Change the 5 to a 3 (or to whatever is described as "full multiuser
> mode" in the comments above the line). And then reboot and log in
> at the text prompt.

wouldn't it be easier just to delete the Start & Stop scripts from
rcX.d-directories ?
this is the solution i used to stop graphical login in debian ...

> Once you have finished doing whatever you wanted to test, you
> can start X with the command "startx". On Red Hat, the default
> desktop is Gnome, so you should get Gnome starting. If you
> get something else, go looking amount the commands for something
> called something like "switchdesk" and run that to tell it you
> want Gnome always (or until the next time you change it :))

and another question ... why not editing $HOME/.xinitrc to define the users
default client ?

btw : sorry for posting with OE .. but my linux boxes and my e4k are down
due to maintenance ;-)

cheers,

David