Re: New user, problem with Gnome Desktop manager.

Daniel Poersch wrote:

On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 17:32:20 +0200
Jonny Fransson <bluesky bostream nu> wrote:

How can I prevent that Gnome Desktop Manager from starting up?

Normally [gkx]dm is started via an init-job in runlevel 5, so you have
either the option to disable [gkx]dm in runlevel 5 or just disable
runlevel 5. I would recommend the latter, because runlevel 5 (AFAIK)
only adds X startup.

To do so you need to edit the file /etc/inittab. You should find a line
which reads like this:
id:5:initdefault:
just change it to id:3:initdefault:

This should work AFAIK, but I must admit that I have never tested it,
just know it from theory ;-)

AFAIK this will not work on Debian, which has a slightly different concept of runlevels. However, on Debian you can disable GDM using this command:

# update-rc.d -f gdm remove

This will disable GDM startup from all runlevels. By the way Jonny, GDM on Debian is usually started from /etc/rc2.d/S99gdm (assuming 2 is your default runlevel - on a default Debian installation, it will probably be). This file is a softlink to /etc/init.d/gdm. So if you want, it is enough to delete the file in /etc/rc2.d.

And a final advice (which I am sure you have been already given). You should never do your normal work as root. Never ever. You have been warned. However, I know it's difficult when you come from Windows (I've been there too :-))

HTH,
Andrei

--
andrei badea movzx net # http://movzx.net # ICQ: 52641547