Re: Setting environment variables

Geoffrey wrote:

Andrei Badea wrote:

Geoffrey wrote:

 > Let me know if that does not work.

It doesn't :-(

[...]

Any ideas?

It may be because the file typically contains various calls to x programs that are run in the background followed by the exec of the window manager.

[...]

Does your window manager start?

Yes, it does. Actually, when I choose the Gnome session in GDM, it reads /usr/share/xsessions/gnome.desktop, there it finds that it has to run gnome-session, and gnome-session runs the other Gnome stuff (metacity, gnome-panel, nautilus and so on).

I think that in your case something else than gnome.desktop is run, and this "something" runs your .Xclients file.

Playing around I found that before running the session manager GDM executes the /etc/gdm/Xsession script, which in turn executes all the files in /etc/X11/Xsession.d. I could put a file in this directory which would exec my .Xclients or any similar file. That would solve my problem in an elegant way.

I'm just afraid I'm reinventing the wheel :-)

Best regards,
Andrei

--
andrei badea movzx net # http://movzx.net # ICQ: 52641547