Gnome and VNC problem

Hi,

I have a peculiar problem with gnome and vnc (+ SSH perhaps). I start
the vncserver (3.3.7) by logging into the remote server through a ssh
client (secureCRT). Following that, I connect using the viewer from XP
(which ran the original ssh client as well) --- and everything is
happy! However, when I go out for sometime, my notebook goes in
power-saving mode killing off secureCRT. Now, when I come back in .. I
find the vncserver still running in my old machine. However, I can't
connect anymore. Worse still, when I kill the server and restart again
... I am able to connect but my gnome session seems weird and it asks
me to choose either the existing setup or the default one! If I choose
the former, then I dont see anything practically while if I choose the
latter, I lose all my custom configuration.

Any idea whats going on?

Thanks a lot,
Koushik.