Remembering window size/placement

Is there something in Gnome apps which is supposed to remember the size
of windows so that when I quite then restart the size is the same?

I notice this most particularly with apps like gpdf and even Evolution
mail composition windows; these are so small when they start that they
are useless for anything other than the simplest things.

I would expect that after I resize a gpdf window if I quit and restart
that it keeps the size I had changed it to, but that doesn't happen.  Is
there something in GTK or similar which is supposed to allow this to
work?  Do I have it turned off?  Or is every application supposed to
handle this on its own?

I ask partly because I'm using FVWM as a window manager so I'm wonder if
this feature exists, whether it is supposed to be assisted by a
Gnome-compliant window manager in a way which FVWM doesn't support, or
that I don't have it configured properly for.

Any hints?

Thanks!

 Paul D. Smith <psmith nortelnetworks com>   HASMAT--HA Software Mthds & Tools