Re: Has the performance been forgotten?

On Sat, Oct 09, 2004 at 10:23:02AM -0700 or thereabouts, Bahram Alinezhad wrote:
> -->> Also, please read other posts I send
> simultaneously.
>
> Cure this ill OS!
> Don't believe me, test by yourself!

You have already sent several similar emails. gnome-list is possibly
not the right place for them. The subject of profiling and speeding
Gnome up has come up on desktop-devel-list recently: have a look
in the archives for the subject line "Goals for 2.10 - desktop-wide
profiling". Incidentally, Gnome and KDE are not the whole of the
OS.

I don't know a lot about this. I do know that there are good ways
and bad ways to demonstrate speed problems, but that's about it.
Which is why I haven't replied.

But since I too tend to want much more performance without upgrading
my hardware, the subject does interest me. Of course, I also want
translations, Pango, and lots of other stuff, too :)

> KDE: 600 times slower in bzip2!

You know that you are posting this to gnome-list, yes? We can't
do a lot about konsole and konqueror unless it turns out that they
share a problem with fileroller...

I am not sure where the discussion about what results to profile
and how to interpret them ended up. But no, the subject hasn't
been forgotten. Trust me, some of us have been making posts about
low-end machines for a long time, and have every interest in
trying to help.

But posting multiple "see also my other posts coming to this list"
emails may not be the best way to proceed. It is possible that no-one
who read them had any way to interpret them, time to look at the
code, or any useful suggestions.

Searching the gnome-list and desktop-devel-list (and other) archives
for "profiling" "speed ups" "slowdown" and similar strings may help.
Similarly, bugzilla is certain to have open bugs which are relevant.
I know it does, because I filed some of them :)

Telsa