unable to edit gnome menus

Hello,

I am running a Knoppix system with Gnome 2.6.
Yes, this is unusual, we unpacked a knoppix image and modified it a bit
for several reasons.

My problem is that I am unable to edit most parts the Gnome menu.
The method of using nautilus on the url applications:/// works a bit, it
allows me to delete folders, create new folders, delete launchers and
change folder names. Things like renaming a launcher, associating a
folder with an icon or creating a new launcher fail.

Changing the icon of a folder seems to work seen from nautilus, but a
panel restart shows no effect. Adding a new launcher results in a window
called 'Error' very shortly being shown, and nothing happening after
that. Attempting to rename a launcher results in "Sorry, could not
rename ... to ...".

Trying to modify things by right clicking in the gnome menu results in
an error like "Cannot save changes to launcher; Details: Error writing
file 'applications:/Games/glines.desktop': Read-only file system"

I am out of ideas for other ways to change my menu, except for using vi
to edit the files myself.

Is there any other tool I could try or do you know of any possible
causes for my trouble?

greets,
Erik Romijn