ISO gconftool-2 commands

Platform: SPARC Sun Solaris 8 with Sun's GNOME 2.0 distribution.

I have a general question regarding the initial setup for a gnome
user.  How does GNOME decide what comprises a user's initial desktop?
Is there a series of gconftool-2 commands issued?  Or is
there a series of files that just get copied in?

I would like to do at least two things at my site.  First is
to slightly tailor a user's initial environment, to remove a couple
of launchers on their top panel.  Secondly, at least once a month,
a user calls saying that they have accidentally deleted their top
panel (the menu panel), and I'd like to be able to issue a command
that creates that panel for them without them having to delete all
their other customized preferences.

I've been reading the GNOME 2.0 Administrator's Guide, and it
seems as if these types of things are doable.  However, many
places through this manual the text says to see such-and-such's
schemas, without really indicating how to find those schemas
or talking about what to do about them once they are found.

I'm hoping that someone knows perhaps of a HOWTO, or a FAQ,
or a text book which might address these types of things in greater
depth.
--
Tcl - The glue of a new generation.  <URL: http://wiki.tcl.tk/ >
Larry W. Virden <mailto:lvirden cas org> <URL: http://www.purl.org/NET/lvirden/>