Re: Apple style menu bar!

On Wed, 2004-11-03 at 21:51 +0300, Andrei Yurkevich wrote:

> Speaking of motif and other toolkits: yes, they are rare, but there is
> still plenty of apps that use them, especially propietary and
> closed-source applications - quite a few of them are shipped statically
> linked against motif, gtk+-1.x and even some other toolkits. And another
> thing is that those are usually applications that are used in
> enterprises and cannot be replaced with anything else, moreover they are
> usually the applications people work most of their time with, so
> inconsistency is really a problem here.

Yup.  To fix Motif probably requires both work in OpenMotif itself and
the attendant mwm window manager used in CDE.

Understand that I believe if this were done for both GTK+ and Qt at this
date, and the window manager conventions to enable it were done and
implemented in the common window managers, the other toolkits would
(eventually) have to come along.  But eventual might be a long time.

What eventual is defined to be we'll leave in the realm of conversations
over beer.  Getting Motif to update to use AA fonts has taken 18 months
longer than either GTK or Qt....
				- Jim