Re: Configuring window characteristics

On Fri, 2004-05-07 at 13:21, Ivo wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> Since I've moved from WindowMaker, I've been missing these features in
> GNOME 2.4 and now that I have installed GKrellm this has become even
> more obvious. I can't believe GNOME would not have this functionality,
> though I have not found any information regarding this yet. Therefore I
> ask you for help.
>
> I want to:
>
> - Be able to configure any window to:
>   * Not show up on the Window List
>   * Start up minimized
>   * Start up on a specific virtual desktop by default
>   * Skip the alt-tab list
> - Save this configuration permanently
>
> Is this possible in GNOME 2.4?

You'll need a different WM or WM-helper (like devil's pie).  Most of
those functions aren't something the WM should be doing, they're stuff
the app should be doing.  The WM is in a very poor position to do those
things properly and accurately; identifying windows is _not_ an easy
task, especially given how many broken applications there are.