Re: GNOME lacks audible feedback?

On Tue, 2004-05-11 at 08:33, Enver ALTIN wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Yesterday I booted back to Windows XP on my notebook. It came
> preinstalled, but I only booted it 4 or 5 times, I think.
>
> After spending about a few hours in Delphi, Corel Draw and Winamp, I
> went back to Debian GNOME 2.6 and just noticed that GNOME barely lacks
> audible feedback.

We have sounds.  They are just very, very horrible, and it feels like my
ears are being raped whenever I hear them.  I tried a while ago to get
some new sounds (several friends of mine are sound designers/musicians
with computer backgrounds), but none of them came through.  I haven't
seen any other real effort to get good high quality bearable sounds in
GNOME, yet.

The gnome-multimedia-list is probably the best place to discuss it.

> In Windows XP, a bunch of predefined events (menu popup, menu item
> selection, dialog boxes, scrolling) generate audible feedback so you
> know you really clicked it.
>
> Though it's not a requirement, it would be fun a lot to have metathemes
> cover sound themes too, a la WinXP. Industrial theme, for example, would
> provide "industrial sounds" for events, and Gorilla would provide
> "Gorilla sounds" and so forth.
>
> BTW, while talking about the sound stuff, I really think there's a nasty
> bug somewhere in the underlying drivers or players causing ugly audio
> quality. I'm no music expert but I can clearly distinguish between
> played-on-Linux and played-on-windows quality of the very same mp3 file.
> Anyone else?

What drivers, what kernel, what application, etc.?  The output should be
identical.  Is here, anyways.  Identifying what part of your multimedia
stack is causing the problem will help to fix it.

> -HAND
AwesomePlay Productions, Inc.