Does it exist a command to shutdown gnome in a clean way without user interaction ?

Hello,
my pc is shutting down every day at 4 A.M so each time, it seems to kill everything (result of the command shutdown -h now) but i would like it to quit properly my gnome session, so I looked into the gnome-session manpage and the panel manage but I didn't find anything about quiting properly gnome itself...

I was wondering if it exists a signal or something to make it quit without interaction from the user (at this time the user is sleeping) ?

Thanks for reading

Djamé

ps : where should I post usability advice related (the lack of "..." after the "preferences" entry menu is very, very weird because it opens a dialog box so it should be "..." just as the rest of the interface (and the rest of the world) , no ?)