Gnome2 Crashes

I am running SuSE8.2 using KDE. originally I was running
gnome2 and gdm. I tried to add some truetype faults.
Gnome crashed and I had to switch to KDE.
I want to straighten out gnome2.
When I attempt to use gnom2 bins, I get:

No fonts found; this probably means that the fontconfig
library is not correctly configured. You may need to
edit the fonts.conf configuration file. More information
about fontconfig can be found in the fontconfig(3) manual
page and on http://fontconfig.org

Can any one shed some light ??

Ed