Re: BUG: gnome terminal horrible performance

On Sat, 2004-07-31 at 15:37 -0700, Florin Andrei wrote:
> On Sat, 2004-07-31 at 12:05, Florin Andrei wrote:
>
> > It's just that on one hand i'd like to use Gnome, because overall i find
> > it the best desktop for Linux, on the other hand simple things like
> > gnome-terminal eating up too many resources (or whatever, i'm not an
> > expert) prevent me from completing my projects.
>
> Here's the opinion of the Linux audio community:
>
> http://music.columbia.edu/pipermail/linux-audio-user/2004-July/thread.html#14404

I'm a little late coming to this thread, but yes the fact that gnome-
terminal has performace problems is well known and often reported, and
it is *definitely* a bug.  The main issue is actually much deeper.  You
see,  the performance problems are mainly due to vte, and the maintainer
of vte doesn't even have enough time to review patches that others
submit (at least, not last I had heard).  It's a problematic situation
that I've seen discussed more than once in IRC.  (Also, the performance
problems are clearly due to more than just one issue)

For more info about this problem, see (some of these may not still be
relevant, but it's what some bugzilla searches will turn up):
  bug 143914--various vte performance improvements by Soeren (has a
              patch)
  bug 122656--multiple patches about various issues, at least
              partially Solaris-specific.  This bug is also a very
              disappointing reminder that the vte maintainer is...uh,
              busy (some patches are nearly a year old, but no comment
              from the maintainer).
  bug 137864--timings showing how bad it can be, some profiling, a
              reward...  (previously mentioned in this thread)
  bug 122927--vte redraws constantly
  bug 122871--more timings about slowlyness of vte scrolling
  bug 120401--scrollback (up) in less problems w/ patch
  bug 118858--same as 120401?
  bug 118657--slowdown from accessibility key (also previously mentioned
              in this thread)
  bug 112773--vte is "very slow in top part of buffer"

Hope this helps,
Elijah

--
Elijah P Newren <newren math utah edu>