Gnome 2.6 Haults on Login

    I just setup a clean Crux system and compiled Gnome from the ports. Gnome works perfectly when I login as root. However, I just created a user for the system and tried to log in. The login comes up right away and the splash screen comes up as expected. However, as soon as the second icon appears (MetaCity Window Manager) the login process halts to a crawl. At first site it looks like it stops completely and is doing nothing, however, if you let it sit for a good 10 minutes it will actually make it through the login and the splash screen will go away, but then I am left with a blank background, no desktop, no icons, no functionality. What could possibly cause this? Again, it works perfectly when I log in as root. Permissions? Where can I look first?