Re: "Browse folder" as open (double click) action?

On Fri, 2004-07-02 at 16:12, Toralf Lund wrote:

>    1. Is it really a good idea to have two separate directory viewers,
>       if a straight-forward interface without unnecessary options is
>       what we want? Won't the fact that there are two slightly different
>       views into the filesystem just confuse most users?

There are still too many instances where Browse can be useful.  Most
non-technical users will probably never need it though.

>    2. I absolutely detest the way the file manager will open a new
>       window every time I enter a new folder.

Try it for a while.  It makes sense once you understand _why_ it does it
and how to utilize it properly.

http://www.bytebot.net/geekdocs/spatial-nautilus.html

> So, is there a way to get the "browse folder" functionality, or if you
> like, old-style Nautilus window, as default open/double-click action?

Edit the gconf key /apps/nautilus/preferences/always_use_browse and set
it to true.

You can use gconf-editor or this one-liner shell command:
gconftool-2 --type boolean --set
/apps/nautilus/preferences/always_use_browser true

> (Yeah, I know it can be accessed via the context menu, but double-click
> is really a lot more convenient.) If not, can I get the simplified file
> manager view to re-use the window when entering folders + possibly
> present a "parent directory" icon (or "Place" entry)?

No, because it isn't a "simplified" view, it's a spatial view.  Opening
folders in the same window completely and absolutely breaks spatial mode
as it shatters one of the core concepts; you can't _spatially_ navigate
without having each folder appear in a consistent location, size, and
state as the last time you opened it.  If it opens in the same window,
you also then need navigational buttons to go back, forward, up, etc
- and that's what browser mode is for.