Cannot load Gnome on Debian

I have a Debian system that has not ever been able to load Gnome. The
following error is what I find in my .xsession. I think the version of
Gnome installed is 2.4. I have been able to find a couple of packages
missing and installed them. I seem to be getting closer however all I
get is the desktop loading splash screen and then a blank screen. Is
there a program or an option that can give me more info on what the
problem is? It is running KDE if that helps to eliminate any areas that
may need looking into.

Gnome-Message: gnome_execute_async_with_env_fds: returning -1
Gnome-Message: gnome_execute_async_with_env_fds: returning -1
X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).
X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).

Thanks in advance,

Jim Seymour