Cannot Logon to Gnome

I just finished using Synaptic to upgrade a bunch of Gnome stuff, anything that had an upgrade available. When I logged out of Gnome and tried to log back on, I got the following error message:

Could not resolve the address "xml:readonly: /etc/opt/gnome/gconf/preconf/gconf.xml.defaults" in the configuration file "/etc/opt/gnome/gconf2/path": Failed: Could not make directory '/etc/opt/gnome/gconf/preconf/gconf.xml.defaults': No such file or directory

There may be typos in the above since I had to handcopy it and change to KDE to send this e-mail. Any help will be appreciated.

Don Henson