RE: System wide 'standard' desktop

> I think a better approach would be to
> 1) create a test user
> 2) log in as the test user
> 3) customize the environment
> 4) see what changed on the /home/test/ directory, including
> configuration files
> 5) replace the /usr/share/ GNOME configuration files with the
> ones that changed

I don't think that will work unfortunately.  I tried variations on this,
and the files produced in ~/.g* have bits that are specific for the user
and seem to be in a different format [slightly] to the defaults.  I know
this is the way K does it, and unless I'm remembering incorrectly, I'm
sure I did this successfully in the Gnome 1.X days.

Pity, it seems to be crying out for a front end tool to manage this
facility.  I might have a go myself if I ever find a few spare
hours/days/weeks/months.  I suspect though, that someone has it on their
agenda somewhere, it's too big a hole to go missing for long.

Bryan Tonnet
bryan tonnet org