Changing Window Manager in Gnome 2.2

I'm trying to convince several engineers at my workplace to use GNOME. I believe it is superior to
just about any other desktop environment out there for Linux.  Here is the problem:  Most of them
are coming from the CDE/Solaris world and they just can't give up the ability to minimize windows
into icons that can be dragged around the desktop.

I know that WindowMaker can do this, but I have no idea how to make Gnome 2.2 use WindowMaker
instead of Metacity.  I've tryed changing ~/.gnome/session, but my attempts have not worked quite
right.   What is the proper way to change the window manager?

Are there any plans to add the ability to minimize windows into icons that can be dragged around?
I'm afraid they will never use GNOME unless this feature exists.

Thanks!!