Re: copying files

On Thu, Jan 08, 2004 at 06:10:31AM -0600, Hunter, Jess wrote:
> I currently have a variety of servers on the network and even though I
> conduct nightly backups of these servers onto tape. I was wondering if it
> was possible to create a batch job that would also run nightly to copy
> selected folders from the different server over to a Linux box which is
> running gnome.

Of course. GNOME doesn't even enter into it.

For scheduling jobs: cron.
For copying files: rsync or scp

If you feel like putting a GNOME interface on these, there is Gnome
Crontab Editor or GCronTime. I haven't touched those.

Quick example: copy /home/guest/templates to
remotemachine.example.com:/backup/originalmachine/home/guest/templates,
once per day at 3:00 AM.

crontab -e will edit the cron table for you; add:

00 3 * * * rsync -avz /home/guest/templates remotemachine.example.com:/backup/originalmachine/home/guest/templates

man pages on all of these will be fruitful.

-dsr-

--
"Common sense always loses when fighting against the promise of dancing
 hamsters." -Valdis Kletnieks