copying files

I am a noob when it comes to using gnome/Linux s and I have what is a basic
questions to most of you.

I currently have a variety of servers on the network and even though I
conduct nightly backups of these servers onto tape. I was wondering if it
was possible to create a batch job that would also run nightly to copy
selected folders from the different server over to a Linux box which is
running gnome.

The main reason I want to do this is for the simple fact that on occasion
users will accidentally over write existing documents (they will use an
existing document as a template then hit the 'save' button instead of the
'save as' button on there Win workstations).

If I have to retrieve previous documents from a previous back up tape, I
have to travel across town to where the tapes are stored offsite, then spend
allot of time to retrieve a single document. By creating a hot backup (for
lack of a better term) I could at least retrieve info from the previous 24
hours with relative ease.

Thanks for any help you could provide.

Jess

---