Sun SPARC Solaris 8's GNOME sound control applet question

A user has asked me to research whether the following behavior is
a known problem in the Sun SPARC gnome distribution.

The user writes:

 Really weird behavior on the mute. I can uncheck the mute & sound
 doesn't come back. Repeatedly check & uncheck mute several times
 & sound will now usually come back. Occasionally, the Built-in
 Speaker box spontaneously unchecks it self when I'm
 muting-unmuting causing loss of sound.

 I now check & uncheck mute box several times. Close & reopen
 Audio appl. to make sure mute box is unchecked & Speaker box is
 checked and it's ok. But that should work by just unchecking mute
 box once, no?
--
Tcl - The glue of a new generation.  <URL: http://wiki.tcl.tk/ >
Larry W. Virden <mailto:lvirden cas org> <URL: http://www.purl.org/NET/lvirden/>