Re: Changing gnome 2.2 splash screen per user

On Sat, Feb 28, 2004 at 10:24:26AM -0800 or thereabouts, VB wrote:
> I believe the gconf way was introduced in 2.1.x as
> art.gnome.org says to use that method for 2.1.x but I
> haven't tried on 2.2.x because I really don't know
> what it means to edit the gconf key?

There are (at least :)) two ways:

gconftool-2 can be used at the command line to twiddle with
a key (or create a new one). I have just noticed that I don't
seem to have any docs about this except for gconftool-2 --help
(which includes explanations of the options). I haven't really
used it, so I'll leave it to someone else to explain that (and
to explain why I have a gconftool-1 as well).

gconf-editor can be started from the command line and is a
graphical tool to alter and edit gconf keys.

For the example of "/apps/gnome-session/options/splash_image",
you start gconf-editor, dismiss the "Warning, this may do bad
things" warning and navigate your way down the tree view on the
left hand side to apps -> gnome-session -> options.

Or you type "gconf-editor /apps/gnome-session/options/splash_image".

Either  gives me a list of "Name" and "Value" columns on the
right. I see splash_image as one of them. I can either
right-click on that and select "Edit" or "Change" or whatever
(I am not running Gnome in English, so I am guessing at the
"real" option); or I can double-click on the key name, which
seems to do the same thing; or I can double-click on the
value, which lets me edit that pathname that's there.

I suppose there is also the third way of editing the files
(which will live in a directory with a name like ~/.gconf)
by hand, but I strongly recommend _not_ doing this: the
syntax is not really that hard, I suppose, but why chance a
typo when the tools are there anyway?

Oh yes. To change the splash screen image, you create your
image, check the filename and path to it, and insert that
as the new value in the "value" part.

Telsa