Re: start-up problems

Hi!

On Tue, 2004-02-17 at 19:02 +0100, Gerald Willmann wrote:

> hi: I recently started using gnome (after having used linux for 7 years)
> and am having real difficulties getting it to cooperate with my wm of
> choice which is evilwm. Upon startup, gnome or gnome-session just hangs
> for 30 seconds and then places the panel in the middle of the screen
> even though it is configured as top. Have searched newsgroups and it
> seems I'm not the only one with this problem but I haven't figured out a
> solution. Any advise? thanks,

GNOME assumes for the most part that the window manager follows the
Window Manager Specification (http://www.freedesktop.org/Standards/wm-
spec) and should work well with any window manager that does.

Now, the fact that you are getting the panel in the middle of your
screen may be a strong indication that evilwm is not following that
standard, and, indeed, http://evilwm.sourceforge.net/ does not it
afaict.

One thing you could do is write to the authors of evilwm and ask them
whether they support the WMS, and, if not, to suggest that they do.

-- m

--
Mariano Suárez-Alvarez <msuarezalvarez arnet com ar>